Waterparks are heading down to Australia for the first time EVER next year, supporting our pals in The Maine. We had the chance to have a chat with the (literally) colourful frontman of Waterparks, Awsten Knight and we threw him 21 Questions. Because, you know, their single is called 21 Questions and we’re clever that way.
1. Where did you get the name Waterparks from?
We stole the name Waterparks from Russian boyband supergroup Waterparks. The band grew to fame with hit singles Dumb For You and Carve.
2. Tell us the story of how you all met
Otto and I met because I gave him a flyer when we were like 17. I found Geoff wearing a choker on the Internet.
3. Your album Double Dare is out now, what is the craziest dare you’ve ever done?
I ate a cigarette in a graveyard once.
4. What’s one thing your mum doesn’t know about you?
No stop she reads these!!!!!!!!
5. Are you planning on trying out any other hair colours, or will you always be a natural blue?
I’ve got my full hair schedule mapped out, why do you want me to ruin the ending (when I go bald)???????
6. What is the strangest gift you’ve ever received?
Probably the gift of life. Shout out to my mom, she’s coming up a lot in this interview. It’s been the weirdest, sloppiest gift ever so far.
7. If you were an animal, what would you be? Can you please draw your answer?
Otters are fucking adorable and hold hands so I’d want to be that for sure. Plus they don’t worry about wifi which sounds nice.
8. What should your fans expect from your live shows?
You can expect to sweat. I can’t even describe how wet I am after all these UK headline shows. It’s gross. But hey, we’re all gonna be wet TOGETHER.
9. What do you most want to see when you get to Australia?
I wanna see a koala squeeze me anaconda style and bust up my ribs.
10. What is your dream collaboration?
I’d lose my mind if I got to make something with Donald Glover but I don’t know how that would ever happen.
11. If you were a cereal, what would you be?
Waffle Crisp because it’s rare. Or Reese’s Puffs. If I don’t have some of that in my heart before bed it feels like I’m going to sleep alone and makes me wanna throw a tantrum like a 7-year-old.
12. Will you ever let a bassist join the band?
13. Congrats on your APMA’s best breakthrough artist award! What non-musical award do you think each member of your band deserves?
We all deserve Olympic participation trophies. We would try. And do okay.
14. Your poor pal Travis got absolutely ripped into in your video for ‘Gloom Boys’, what was the inspo behind the vid?
Well, on the All Time Low tour I watched Scott Pilgrim on the bus and later had the idea to do the same thing but for the band. Really it was just an excuse to make another music video in Houston and see all our friends again.
15. What is your best explanation for the Aussie phrase: ‘We’re not here to fuck spiders’
That’s the most reasonable thing I’ve heard all day, as I too am not in a position to fuck a spider. This is a two-thumbs-up game plan from me.
16. Do you have any crazy ghost stories?
Yeah, but when I talk about them creepy stuff happens and I’m currently in the dark. Ask me at a show and I’ll give you one.
17. Which band/company do you most want to start twitter beef with?
Arby’s doesn’t get enough shit for how bad they are, fuck ’em. Beef on. Some pun intended.
18. What’s the best pun you’ve ever heard/made?
I don’t revel in my past accomplishments, it’s all about what’s next, babe. Peep that last answer.
19. If you could live in any city in the world, what would it be and why?
Houston or LA. Houston is home and I love it there and the humidity has kept me young looking. LA because my work, girlfriend and stuff is all there.
20. If you had to create an infomercial for your band, what would your slogan be?
TIRED OF SHITTIN YOUR PANTS??? WELL GUESS WHAT. ME TOO. WHY CANT WE STOP SHITTING OUR PANTS?? YOU’RE INVOLVED IN THIS NOW. OH SHIT PEOPLE ARE COMING, HIDE.
21. What is your go-to snack while you’re on tour?
Red and yellow twizzlers, I brought a few packs with me to the U.K. because out here they’re like $6, dude. Not okay.
You can catch Awsten being the dude singing in to the microphone on stage with his band Waterparks when they open for The Maine in Australia next year! Dates below, tickets available NOW.
Tuesday, January 30th, 2018
Amplifier Bar, Perth, WA (18+)
Wednesday, January 31st, 2018
Fowlers Live, Adelaide, SA (AA)
Friday, February 2nd, 2018
Corner Hotel, Melbourne, VIC (18+)
Saturday, February 3rd, 2018
Factory Theatre, Sydney, NSW (AA)
Sunday, February 4th, 2018
The Triffid, Brisbane, QLD (AA)